Ok, so when I first got my flippers and tried to talk down the stairs into the water, I face planted twice - once while I was on the stairs and then again when I tried to get up in the water after falling off the stairs. After the third fall, just onto my knees this time, I realized I should have waited until I got into the water before putting them on.
Tonight, I did my 3rd of 4 dives to get my open water diving certification. Having learned my lesson from the face planting session, I entered the water with my scuba gear on, but my flippers in my hand. Despite this precaution, I still fell. Although I was spared the embarrassment of the face plant, when one falls into 2-1/2' of water with a scuba tank on, you kind of become like a turtle who has been cruelly turned onto it shell - a sad creature with short ineffectual arms and legs flailing towards the sky, unable to generate enough momentum to turn yourself over.
Luckily, one of my dive mates lent me a hand - otherwise, I would have had to wait for the tide to come in, so I could float away, or out, so I could have rolled over.
Moral of the story, don't be mean to turtles.
My dive mates, Jessica, me, Todd and my instructor, Greg with the rabbit ears.

No comments:
Post a Comment