Tuesday, May 17, 2011

2011-04-18 I shoot guns

A Bluesynergy Story

So I am all moved in to my palace... it really feels like I live in a
boarding house, because you can never tell when someone is actually
home. I bought a TV and have cable for the first time in my adult
life. After de-stressing by watching part of the storage wars marathon,
I walked down to the main street with all the hotels in search of
food. I couldn't decide what to eat, so I ended up in TGIF's. I know I
now have a kitchen but with milk and juice costs $10/gallon, sometimes
it is cheaper to eat out.

After a boring onion soup and salad, I started the short but extremely
muggy walk home. To my left was the Great American Western gun store
and indeed, there was a life size Native American chief carved in wood
standing guard outside. This was one of several shooting galleries
/strip clubs that are along the main drag. Not really needing a strip
show on a Monday night, I entered the gun store. There were two life
size wood horses pulling a carriage in the front. I continued in the
back and saw that there was a special today - $50 for the rental of 1
shotgun (6 shells) 0.38 (12 shells) .22 (12 shell) and a bunch of
other guns and their corresponding ammo. Now, I never like to pass up
a good deal and as Rita Rutner says, its not about what you spend, its
about what you saved if you had paid full price, but I wasn't really in
the mood to shoot a shotgun. So, I went for the cheapest option - 30
shells for a .22 revolver for $17.

Now, I had flip flops on and my glasses. This attire apparently was ok
and, as my host, Richard, indicated that I didn't need to wear the
safety glasses because I was already wearing a pair of glasses. This
made me nervous. Oh, and by the way, Richard's full time job is as a
paint distributor and he will be stopping by the office tomorrow to
chat with me about the hospital project.

Anyway, I shoot my 30 rounds and do just marginally better than a
beginner - they score u after every round and give you a certificate
of completion. You'll be happy to know I hit the bulls eye 1 out of
30, but 1 is better than 0, My excuse is that I couldn't really see because my eye
glasses fogged up under my safety glasses that I insisted on wearing.
After that, I walked home, quite pleased with myself. I couldn't
legally do this in Oakland.

No comments:

Post a Comment