A Bluesynergy Story
Yes, I did, but more on that later.
The day started out with me being late (of course) to my dive class. 15 minutes, as always. I get to MDA, the dive shop where my class is being held and thankfully, there was someone else that was later than me. After a tour and explanation on the shop and how to rent gear, we drove to the Naval Base to dive at Gab Gab Beach. No, I don't know the history on the name - I only know that there is a Gab Gab 2 just beyond Gab Gab 1. I am sure someone can google it and let me know.
Our first test was swimming 200 yards. Some of my class mates struggled a little with this - one might say it is the organic chemistry of the diving course. For those of u that didn't ponder pre-med , it's the weeder class.
After a few other tests, we were all given 6 lbs of weight and told to hold them to our stomachs to see if we would sink. I did not sink, much to my dismay. I required a hefty 8 lbs of weight before I sunk to the bottom. The boys, all of whom are at least 60-80 lbs heavier, mainly because they are 6'7 and 6'5 - only required 6 lbs to sink. It is very disconcerting to know that I require more weight - but then my female instructor noted, silently, that I have my own personal flotation devices that may have contributed to my buoyancy.
After some more tests and a trip to McDonald's, we got to the hover test. This required me to use my breath to hover in the water about 4 ft above the sand. I successfully completed this task. Unfortunately, I often forget I have legs when I am in the water, and as I descended back to the bottom, I did not allow enough room to get my legs under me. I slammed into the ground. As I flailed in the water to get myself standing again, I felt a little tingly sensation on my bottom. I turned around to see a very disgruntled sea cucumber waving it's intestines at me. Apparently, sea cucumbers defend themselves by shoving their sticky sticky intestines out of a small hole to trap their "attackers". I reached around and rubbed the back of my suit - my hand became covered with intestines - they were streaming from my ass. I freaked out - but u can't actually talk underwater - so you just flail and your eyes get all bulgy. The intestines look like silly string - bright white in color - and they tingle. My dive mate was laughing so hard at me that he had to hold his regulator in his mouth. I couldn't get it all off - its one of those, u rub it and it just gets on ur other hand, or arm, or in your hair. I had to peel it off when it dried on my bathing suit later that evening.
I give nature an A+ for sea cuccmber defense. I can assure you, I will not be sitting on any more.
No comments:
Post a Comment